Webster’s Dictionary: [hahy-druh-pon-iks] The cultivation of plants by placing the roots in liquid nutrient solutions rather than in soil; soilless growth of plants.
Hydroponic and greenhouse gardening are an increasingly popular way to produce your own wholesome food right at home. Many of these systems make use of electric pumps to circulate nutrient rich water through the plant roots, artificial lighting to stimulate growth, and misting systems to increase humidity in dryer climates.
INSTEON automation can play an important role in any large or small, home or commercial hydroponic gardening plan. For example:
- Control artificial lighting times and duration using INSTEON SwitchLinc, On/Off Modules, or 30 Amp Load Controllers
- Control water valves using INSTEON I/O Linc or EZFlora Low Voltage Controllers
- Control water pumps using INSTEON On/Off Modules, or 30 Amp Load Controllers
- Control temperature and humidity and ventilation using INSTEON Thermostats
- Add INSTEON door and motion detector security to detached greenhouse facilities to reduce losses from unwanted visitors
- Provide email or text alerts when environmental sensors are outside normal ranges or security is violated.
We recommend the HomeRunner RBI automation controller for its flexibility and reliability. You can create your own schedule in only a few minutes. We’ll help you get started or we can even do it for you at a very reasonable hourly rate.
Please share how you have or plan to use automation technology to improve production and reduce labor and costs associated with Hydroponic growing.